Arnuity Ellipta (Fluticasone Furoate)
What Is A Generic?×
A generic drug is essentially a copycat version of a brand-name medication, offering the same safety, quality, and effectiveness, but often at a lower cost. When a brand-name drug's patent expires, other companies can produce the generic version. These generics contain the same active ingredients and work in the same way in the body as the original brand-name drug. However, they might differ in color, shape, or inactive ingredients. The appeal of generic drugs lies in their affordability; they provide a more cost-effective option for consumers without sacrificing the benefits of the original medication. This makes healthcare more accessible to a larger portion of the population, ensuring that more people can receive the treatment they need without the burden of high costs associated with brand-name drugs.
Arnuity Ellipta is a medication primarily used in the treatment of asthma in patients aged 12 years and older. It belongs to a class of drugs known as inhaled corticosteroids, which work to reduce inflammation in the airways, making it easier to breathe. The active ingredient in Arnuity Ellipta is fluticasone furoate, which has potent anti-inflammatory properties.
Arnuity Ellipta contains fluticasone furoate, which acts as an anti-inflammatory agent. When inhaled through the Ellipta device, the medication targets the inflamed airways, reducing swelling and sensitivity. By doing so, it prevents the occurrence of asthma symptoms and helps patients gain better control over their condition.
Arnuity Ellipta is specifically prescribed for individuals who have been diagnosed with persistent asthma. It is not intended for immediate relief during asthma attacks. Rather, it is meant for long-term management to prevent asthma symptoms from occurring in the first place. It is essential to follow your healthcare provider’s recommendations and use Arnuity Ellipta as prescribed to experience its full benefits.
Table of ContentsToggle
Asthma is a chronic respiratory condition that affects the airways, making breathing difficult. In the case of persistent asthma, the symptoms are present more frequently and are typically more severe.
Persistent asthma is a chronic respiratory condition characterized by ongoing inflammation and narrowing of the airways, making it difficult to breathe. It falls under the broader category of asthma, a condition that affects millions of people worldwide. In individuals with persistent asthma, the airways are overly sensitive, reacting to various triggers and leading to recurrent episodes of wheezing, coughing, chest tightness, and shortness of breath.
Symptoms of persistent asthma can vary from person to person, but common signs include wheezing, shortness of breath, chest tightness, and coughing, especially at night or early in the morning.
Understanding the triggers of asthma is crucial in managing the condition effectively. Common triggers for persistent asthma include allergens (pollen, dust mites, pet dander), air pollution, respiratory infections, and cold air.
Warnings and Precautions
Before starting treatment with Arnuity Ellipta, it is crucial to be aware of the following warnings and precautions:
- Asthma Severity Assessment: Before using Arnuity Ellipta, healthcare providers should assess the severity of asthma in patients. This medication is not intended for the relief of acute bronchospasm or asthma attacks and should not replace short-acting bronchodilators.
- Risk of Asthma-Related Death: Arnuity Ellipta, like other LABAs, may increase the risk of asthma-related death. Therefore, it is primarily prescribed for patients whose asthma is not adequately controlled by other asthma-controlling medications, such as inhaled corticosteroids or whose disease severity clearly warrants the initiation of LABA therapy.
- Regular Assessment of Asthma Control: Patients using Arnuity Ellipta should be regularly assessed by their healthcare providers to ensure that their asthma remains well controlled. If symptoms worsen despite using the medication, alternative treatments should be considered.
- Adverse Effects on the Cardiovascular System: LABAs, including Arnuity Ellipta, may cause significant cardiovascular effects, such as an increase in blood pressure and heart rate. Individuals with a history of heart conditions should exercise caution when using this medication, and healthcare providers should monitor them closely.
- Risk of Pneumonia: Patients using corticosteroids, including fluticasone furoate, have an increased risk of developing pneumonia. Healthcare providers should advise patients about the potential risk and regularly monitor their respiratory symptoms.
- Systemic Corticosteroid Use: Abruptly discontinuing systemic corticosteroids while using Arnuity Ellipta may lead to adrenal insufficiency. Patients who have been on long-term systemic corticosteroids should be gradually weaned off under the supervision of their healthcare provider.
While it is an effective asthma management option, like any other medication, it can lead to side effects.
Common Side Effects
- Oral Thrush: One of the common side effects of Arnuity Ellipta is oral thrush, a fungal infection in the mouth. The corticosteroids in the medication may weaken the immune system, making individuals more susceptible to infections like thrush. Maintaining good oral hygiene and rinsing the mouth after each use of Arnuity Ellipta can help prevent oral thrush.
- Hoarseness of Voice: Some individuals may experience hoarseness or a change in their voice after using Arnuity Ellipta. This side effect usually improves over time but if it persists, it’s essential to inform your healthcare provider.
- Headache: Headaches may occur as a common side effect of Arnuity Ellipta. Staying hydrated and getting adequate rest can help reduce the frequency and intensity of headaches.
- Sore Throat: Irritation in the throat may lead to a sore throat. Drinking plenty of fluids and using throat lozenges can provide relief.
- Coughing: A mild cough might be experienced by some individuals when they start using Arnuity Ellipta. This usually subsides after a few days, but if it becomes bothersome, consult your doctor.
Rare Side Effects
- Allergic Reactions: In rare cases, Arnuity Ellipta can trigger allergic reactions, which may manifest as skin rashes, itching, swelling, or difficulty breathing. Seek immediate medical attention if you experience any signs of an allergic reaction.
- Vision Problems: Some individuals may experience blurred vision or other visual disturbances while using Arnuity Ellipta. If this occurs, consult your healthcare provider promptly.
- High Blood Pressure: Arnuity Ellipta may cause an increase in blood pressure in some individuals. Regular monitoring and following a healthy lifestyle can help manage this side effect.
- Weight Gain: Weight gain can be a rare side effect of corticosteroid medications like Arnuity Ellipta. Maintaining a balanced diet and engaging in regular physical activity can help prevent excessive weight gain.
- Insomnia: Difficulty sleeping or insomnia may occur in rare cases. Establishing a bedtime routine and avoiding caffeine close to bedtime may improve sleep quality.
Severe Side Effects
- Adrenal Insufficiency: Prolonged use of Arnuity Ellipta can suppress the body’s natural production of cortisol, leading to adrenal insufficiency. Symptoms include fatigue, weakness, dizziness, and low blood pressure. If you experience these symptoms, seek immediate medical attention.
- Osteoporosis: Long-term use of corticosteroids like Arnuity Ellipta can weaken bones, increasing the risk of osteoporosis. Adequate calcium intake and weight-bearing exercises can help maintain bone health.
- Glaucoma and Cataracts: Severe and prolonged use of Arnuity Ellipta may increase the risk of developing glaucoma or cataracts. Regular eye check-ups are essential for early detection and management.
- Suppression of Immune System: Arnuity Ellipta can weaken the immune system, making individuals more susceptible to infections. It is crucial to avoid exposure to contagious illnesses and promptly address any signs of infection.
- Psychological Effects: In some rare cases, corticosteroids may lead to mood swings, anxiety, depression, or even psychosis. If you experience significant changes in mood or behavior, consult your healthcare provider.
If you’re using this medication or considering it, it’s essential to be aware of potential interactions with other drugs, herbs, and even certain foods.
- Beta-Blockers Using Arnuity Ellipta along with beta-blockers, commonly prescribed for heart conditions and hypertension, may lead to reduced efficacy of both medications. It’s essential to inform your healthcare provider about all the medications you’re taking to avoid such interactions.
- Certain Antifungal Medications Some antifungal drugs, like ketoconazole and itraconazole, may increase the levels of Arnuity Ellipta in your body, leading to potential side effects. Consult your doctor if you require antifungal treatment while on Arnuity Ellipta.
- HIV Medications Certain HIV medications, especially protease inhibitors like ritonavir, may also affect Arnuity Ellipta’s metabolism, necessitating dose adjustments or alternative treatments. Keep your healthcare provider informed about your HIV medications.
- Diuretics Combining Arnuity Ellipta with diuretics, commonly used for conditions like high blood pressure and edema, may lead to low potassium levels. Regular monitoring and potassium supplements may be required to avoid complications.
- CYP3A4 Inducers and Inhibitors Drugs that induce or inhibit CYP3A4 enzymes in the liver can impact the metabolism of Arnuity Ellipta. Be cautious while using medications like rifampin or erythromycin, as they can affect Arnuity Ellipta’s effectiveness.
- Aspirin and Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) Long-term use of aspirin or NSAIDs may increase the risk of adverse effects when used with Arnuity Ellipta. Consult your healthcare provider before combining these medications.
- Licorice Root Licorice root supplements may reduce potassium levels, and when combined with Arnuity Ellipta, it can lead to hypokalemia. Avoid taking licorice root supplements without consulting your doctor.
- Herbs with Sedative Effects Some herbs like valerian, kava, or chamomile have sedative properties. Combining these with Arnuity Ellipta may cause excessive drowsiness. Use caution and inform your healthcare provider if you are taking any sedative herbs.
- St. John’s Wort St. John’s Wort, often used for mood disorders, can induce CYP3A4 enzymes, potentially reducing the effectiveness of Arnuity Ellipta. Consult your healthcare provider before using this herb.
- Ginseng and Echinacea Ginseng and echinacea may stimulate the immune system. Combining them with Arnuity Ellipta may lead to excessive immune responses. Inform your doctor if you are taking these herbs.
- Grapefruit and Grapefruit Juice Grapefruit contains compounds that inhibit the CYP3A4 enzyme. Consuming grapefruit or grapefruit juice while taking Arnuity Ellipta may lead to increased drug levels in your system. It’s best to avoid grapefruit products during Arnuity Ellipta treatment.
- High-Fat Meals High-fat meals may delay the absorption of Arnuity Ellipta. It’s advisable to take the medication on an empty stomach or with a light meal for optimal absorption.
- Licorice As mentioned earlier, licorice can reduce potassium levels. Avoid excessive consumption of licorice-containing foods during Arnuity Ellipta treatment.
- Alcohol Alcohol may exacerbate certain side effects of Arnuity Ellipta, such as dizziness or drowsiness. It’s best to limit alcohol intake while using this medication.
- Caffeine Large amounts of caffeine may also worsen certain side effects of Arnuity Ellipta, like nervousness or jitteriness. Moderate your caffeine consumption while on this medication.
- High-Potassium Foods Since Arnuity Ellipta can sometimes lead to low potassium levels, it’s wise to avoid consuming excessive amounts of high-potassium foods like bananas, oranges, and spinach.
How to Use
Using Arnuity Ellipta can significantly improve the quality of life for individuals with asthma, provided it is used correctly and consistently.
- Read the Instructions Carefully: Start by reading the patient information leaflet provided with your Arnuity Ellipta inhaler. Familiarize yourself with the device, its components, and the correct way to load a dose.
- Check the Inhaler Expiration Date: Before using Arnuity Ellipta, check the expiration date on the packaging. Do not use the inhaler if it has expired, as it may not deliver the medication effectively.
- Prepare the Inhaler: Hold the inhaler with the mouthpiece facing up and open the cover fully until you hear a click. This action loads a dose of the medication into the inhaler.
- Exhale Completely: Breathe out fully to ensure you get the most out of your dose.
- Inhale the Medication: Put the mouthpiece in your mouth and close your lips around it. Take a long, steady, and deep breath through your mouth to inhale the medication.
- Hold Your Breath: After inhaling the medication, remove the inhaler from your mouth and hold your breath for about 10 seconds to allow the drug to reach deep into your lungs.
- Exhale Slowly: Breathe out slowly and steadily.
- Close the Inhaler: Close the inhaler cover to protect it from dust and debris.
To ensure its safe and effective usage, it is crucial to understand the dosing guidelines thoroughly.
When starting Arnuity Ellipta, it’s essential to follow the initial dosing recommendations to achieve optimal results. The standard initial dose for adults and adolescents aged 12 years and older is 100 mcg once daily, administered via the Ellipta inhaler. This dosage should be individualized based on the patient’s asthma severity, medical history, and response to treatment. Always consult a healthcare professional to determine the appropriate initial dose for each patient.
The initial dosing for pediatric patients between the ages of 5 and 11 years is 50 mcg once daily. Arnuity Ellipta is not indicated for children under the age of 5 years.
After the initial dosing phase, the maintenance dosing of Arnuity Ellipta is crucial to control asthma symptoms effectively. The recommended maintenance dose for adults and adolescents aged 12 years and older is 100 or 200 mcg once daily. The dosage depends on the patient’s response to treatment and the severity of their asthma symptoms. The maximum daily dose should not exceed 200 mcg.
Pediatric patients aged 5 to 11 years should receive 50 mcg once daily as the maintenance dose. Remember that the dosage can be adjusted as per the healthcare provider’s assessment of the patient’s condition.
In case a dose of Arnuity Ellipta is missed, the patient should take it as soon as they remember. However, if it’s close to the time of the next scheduled dose, they should skip the missed dose and continue with the regular dosing schedule. It’s crucial not to double the doses to compensate for a missed one.
If a patient consistently misses doses, they should inform their healthcare provider to assess their asthma management plan and make necessary adjustments.
Using Arnuity Ellipta in higher doses or more frequently than prescribed can lead to an overdose, which may result in adverse effects. If an overdose is suspected, immediate medical attention should be sought. Common symptoms of an overdose include but are not limited to:
- Muscle weakness
- Rapid heart rate
- Increased thirst or urination
To maintain the medication’s potency and ensure its safety, proper storage is crucial.
- Storage Temperature: Store Arnuity Ellipta at room temperature, ideally between 68°F and 77°F (20°C and 25°C). Avoid exposing the inhaler to extreme heat or cold, as it may affect the medication’s stability.
- Keep Away from Moisture: Moisture can degrade Arnuity Ellipta and reduce its efficacy. Store the inhaler in a dry place, and avoid using it in humid environments such as bathrooms.
- Original Packaging: Keep Arnuity Ellipta in its original foil tray and only remove it just before use. This packaging helps protect the medication from environmental factors.
- Close the Cap Properly: After using the inhaler, close the cap firmly to prevent air and moisture from entering the device.
- Avoid Direct Sunlight: Store Arnuity Ellipta away from direct sunlight, as UV rays can break down the medication’s active ingredients.
- Do Not Freeze: Never freeze Arnuity Ellipta, as freezing can damage the inhaler and compromise the medication’s effectiveness.
- Store in a Safe Location: Keep the inhaler out of the reach of children and pets. Store it in a secure place to prevent accidental misuse.
- Check Expiration Date: Regularly inspect the expiration date on the inhaler’s packaging. Dispose of any expired medication properly.
- Traveling with Arnuity Ellipta: If you need to travel, ensure the inhaler is well protected from physical damage, extreme temperatures, and moisture during the journey.
- Avoid Repackaging: Do not transfer the medication to a different container or repackaging, as it may compromise its quality and safety.
- Keep Inhaler Clean: Maintain the inhaler’s cleanliness by wiping the mouthpiece with a dry, clean cloth regularly.
- Use Regularly: Follow your prescribed dosage schedule and use the inhaler regularly. Avoid extended periods without usage, as it may affect its effectiveness.
- Check for Particulate Matter: Before each use, inspect the inhaler for any foreign particles. If you notice any, do not use the medication and consult your healthcare provider.
- Store Away from Harmful Chemicals: Keep Arnuity Ellipta away from household chemicals, aerosols, or other substances that might contaminate the medication.
- Do Not Share Inhalers: Arnuity Ellipta is a prescription medication, and each individual should have their own inhaler. Sharing inhalers can lead to potential health risks.
- Keep Track of Doses: Maintain a record of your doses to ensure you are using the inhaler as prescribed. This will also help you keep track of when a refill is needed.
- Proper Disposal: Dispose of the inhaler responsibly following the guidelines provided by your healthcare professional or local regulations.
- Temperature Extremes During Shipping: If you are ordering Arnuity Ellipta online, ensure that the medication is shipped in appropriate conditions, avoiding extreme temperatures during transit.
- Store Away from Pets: Pets may be attracted to the scent of medication. Store the inhaler in a location inaccessible to your furry companions.
- Inform Your Healthcare Provider: If you experience any changes in the medication’s appearance, odor, or taste, contact your healthcare provider immediately.
- Room Humidity: Consider using a dehumidifier if the room where you store your medication has consistently high humidity levels.
- Medication Interaction: Inform your healthcare provider of all medications you are taking to ensure there are no potential interactions that could affect the storage or efficacy of Arnuity Ellipta.
- Avoid Dropping: Accidental dropping of the inhaler may damage it. Handle it with care.
- Keep Away from Heat Sources: Store Arnuity Ellipta away from heat sources like radiators, stoves, or direct heat vents.
- Avoid Storing in the Car: Never leave your inhaler in the car, especially during hot or cold weather, as extreme temperatures can impact its potency.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The information provided here is for educational purposes only and is not intended to serve as medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment recommendations. It should not be taken as an endorsement of any specific medication or treatment. Individual health conditions and responses to treatment can vary greatly; therefore, this information should not be seen as a guarantee of safety, suitability, or effectiveness for any particular individual. Always consult with a healthcare professional for personalized medical advice and before making any decisions regarding your health or treatment plans.